Thursday, May 31, 2012

Review Day: Such Is Life

It's Review Day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Title: Such Is Life
Author: Angel A. Walker
Rating: 5 stars (I wish I could give it more!)
Type: Chicklit, Women's Fiction

(description from Smashwords)
Melissa Jones has never had a problem with being single. That is until she receives an invite to her ten-year high school reunion, and then her ex’s wedding, both events falling on the same weekend. As Melissa debates whether to cancel or suck it up, her assistant, Brett Thomas, decides to step in to “assist” her. Melissa figures once her date problem is solved the weekend will run smoothly. Not exactly. Her family will stop at nothing to embarrass her, her exes will stop at nothing to try and win her back, and using Brett as her arm candy gets a little sticky when buried feelings are brought to the surface. By the end of the weekend Melissa will have to make decisions she always read about, but never experienced. She’ll dream of the day when being single was her only problem. (end)

Such Is Life is a witty, romantic-comdey movie styled novel.  Angel took the classic elements from a rom-com movie and flawlessly twisted them into even more melodramatic and awkward situations (but in a good way).  Every single character was perfect and fit together so effortlessly it really felt like you were reading someone's life story.  There was the eccentric mother, the troubled but very loving father, the obnoxious and protective brother, the very obnoxious sister-in-law, the best friend whom you love/hate all at once, the crazy exes that always try to ruin your life, and of course the lovely main character who was a former chubby girl.  I couldn't get enough of the characters.  They sucked me in and made me believe in them, feel for them, and want to slap them around at times too.

THEN you have the plot that was so ridiculous and weaved such a strong story of adventure, love, friendship and drama that you just couldn't say no.  I barely put this book down!  It rose and fell perfectly without any issues.  I could easily see this book being turned into a movie (I imagined the whole thing in my mind like it was a movie while reading it).  I can't express enough how outstanding the writing is in this novel.  Angel took such a simple and overused idea- a girl who wasn't popular in high school, grows up to be successful, goes back to her hometown and sees all of her exes only to have her life turned upside down by her assistant! - and turned it into a completely magical adventure.

I highly recommend this novel to anyone  who likes a light hearted novel that is not only superbly well written but takes you on an adventure that you would never imagine.  AND some of the best news is, THIS IS ONLY BOOK ONE!!!!  This novel is officially on my favorites list and I plan to read it again whenever I need that extra dose of something special.  To purchase Such Is Life, go to Amazon, Barnes&Noble, Smashwords, or for paperback visit Angel's blog.  Happy Review Day!

2 comments:

MaSugar32 said...

Thanks for the great review! I'm glad you liked the book and I'm glad you took the time to review it! Awesome!

HilyBee said...

You're welcome Angel! I definitely loved your novel and can't say enough good things about it. :)